Menu Close

Summer Algae Blooms

With summer here again i thought it a good idea to highlight why dog owners need to be cautious of Blue algae blooms in local ponds and lakes.  Blue green algae  (cyanobacteria) are tiny organisms usually found in freshwater lakes, ponds or reservoirs. The bacteria forms on the surface of the water and blooms, to create a green, blue green or brown coloured scum or foam. Some blue green algae is highly toxic to dogs.

Signs and symptoms

If a dog swallows water with algae containing the most severe toxins (neurotoxins and hepatotoxins), they may show signs within minutes. Signs in dogs exposed only to hepatotoxins can take between one and a few hours to show.

The most common signs of blue green algae poisoning include:

Vomiting, diarrhoea, disorientation, breathing difficulties,  drooling, seizures, blood in stools, coma and shock.

If you think your dog may have swallowed water containing algae it is best to visit your vet as soon as possible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *